Ashley Cooke Releases “your place” Ahead of Debut Album (Review)
After blowing up on TikTok, Nashville songsmith, Ashley Cooke has shot up in fame over the last few years. Now, the Big Loud singer + songwriter is gearing up to release her debut album, shot in the dark.
The announcement of shot in the dark follows the success of “it’s been a year,” “getting into,” “never til now,” “back in the saddle,” and more to come. Now, Cooke has shared another tasting of her upcoming debut titled “your place.”
“your place,” co-written with Jordan Minton and Mark Trussell, speaks on standing up for yourself and enforcing boundaries after being walked over in a relationship. The country songstress consistently pens relatable lyricism dabbling in heartbreak and love, and this I-don’t-need-you anthem is brimming with sass and confidence needed after a poor partnership.
She sings, “It ain’t your place to walk up, say hey / Ask how I’ve been at some party / It ain’t your place to ask my friends / When you see ‘em out if I’m seeing somebody / You don’t get to call me up ‘cause you’re drunk / Two AM, say you miss us / Nah, you don’t get to care where I’m waking up / These days, it ain’t your place.
Cooke announced the news about shot in the dark live from the Grand Ole Opry, which drops on July 21st. The 24-song assemblage will be one of the longest debuts by a female country artist and will travel through an array of emotions and depictions in the singer’s life so far.
Cooke shares, “One of the coolest parts about releasing an album with 24 songs is that I can really dive deep into all the different sides of my experiences and feelings. The songs I’m releasing today explore two different emotions I have experienced after relationships ended; both are ultimately about seeking happiness after it didn’t work out. Breakups are complicated, and ‘your place’ and ‘enough to leave’ both dig into that.”
As Cooke says, “Send this one to your toxic ex!”
SHOT IN THE DARK TRACKLIST
- “tastes like” (Ashley Cooke, Jordan Minton, Emily Weisband, Corey Crowder)
- “it’s been a year” (Ashley Cooke, Will Weatherly, Brett Tyler)
- “see you around (feat. Nate Smith)” (Ashley Cooke, Brett Tyler, Will Bundy)
- “shot in the dark” (Ashley Cooke, Jordan Minton, Emily Weisband, Corey Crowder)
- “moving on with grace” (Ashley Cooke, Rocky Block, Jake Mitchell)
- “getting into” (Ashley Cooke, Emily Weisband, Will Weatherly)
- “enough to leave” (Ashley Cooke, Matt Roy, Lauren Weintraub)
- “i almost do” (Ashley Cooke, Trevor Rosen, Josh Osborne)
- “mean girl (feat. Colbie Caillat)” (Ashley Cooke, Colbie Caillat, Nicolle Galyon, Jimmy Robbins)
- “running back” (Ashley Cooke, Emily Weisband, Will Weatherly)
- “good thing going” (Ashley Cooke, Matt Dragstrem, Brett Tyler, Geoff Warburton)
- ” next to you” (Ashley Cooke)
- “good to be back” (Ashley Cooke, Hunter Phelps, Jameson Rodgers, Alysa Vanderheym)
- “what are you on fire about (feat. Jackson Dean)” (Lainey Wilson, Jason Nix, Luke Dick)
- “say no more” (Devin Dawson, Donovan Woods, Travis Wood)
- “tryin’ to love you” (Ashley Cooke, Hillary Lindsey, Chase McGill, Jimmy Robbins)
- “back in the saddle” (Josh Kerr, Jordan Reynolds, Jordan Minton)
- “your place” (Ashley Cooke, Jordan Minton, Mark Trussell)
- “dirt on ’em” (Ashley Cooke, Jessi Alexander, Aysa Vanderheym)
- “build a bridge” (Sasha Sloan, Ryan Hurd, Geoff Warburton, Henry Agincourt Allen)
- “get you” (Ashley Cooke, Jacob Durrett, John Byron)
- “never til now” (Ashley Cooke, Matt Roy)
- “gonna get” (Ashley Cooke, Sasha Sloan, Blake Pendergrass, David Garcia)
- “state i’m in” (Ashley Cooke, Emily Weisband, Jordan Reynolds)